PhotonDelta Cooperative Explained
Last updated: May 27th 2017 : This page presents a full-overview of the PhotonDelta Cooperative. If you're looking for a short-cut to register for the IP Cloud please use this link.
Building strong competitive advantages for our members
by Hester Tak, Director, PhotonDelta Cooperative
The PhotonDelta Cooperative is a new international, professional membership organization with its headquarters in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
Exponential growth of the global Photonics Industry comes through intensive, sustained cooperation between trusted partners. So, we’re combining the powerful energy found in young scale-up companies with the experience of established photonics enterprises. We also have unique access to world-class Research and Development institutions across our region and across the world. That includes Universities as well as private corporate research centers.
Four Guiding Principles
Over the last year, PhotonDelta has done extensive research into the global photonics sector. Those discussions have led to the formation of the PhotonDelta Cooperative with 4 strategic goals.
We want to
- Connect - We actively link best-in-class innovation and research to best business practice. Local, National and Global.
- Amplify - PhotonDelta amplifies existing initiatives, strengthens existing collaborative networks and, when needed, helps to build new ones.
- Accelerate - We know from experience that a mix of formal and informal networks is the key to speeding up technology validation and time to market. Trust is key.
- Partner - We want to increase the flow of leading-edge expertise and investment to The Netherlands – to open up Europe’s photonics innovation to the rest of the world.
“Being a member of the PhotonDelta cooperative gives you early access to IP before that intellectual property is published. That's a clear strategic advantage you can't achieve alone.”
Already decided? Register for the IP Cloud now through this link
The Five Membership Benefits
1. Early Access to Intellectual Property – the IP Cloud
We know that early access to knowledge gives our members a huge strategic advantage. PhotonDelta has created the first secure IP Cloud in which results from research will be accessible to members before publication. Being a member of PhotonDelta’ s Cooperative will give you automatic access to the secure IP Cloud. Get a front-row seat in the theatre of ideas, insights and outputs.
We fully understand the new European unitary patent system which is expected to come into force by December 2017. It should be a lot cheaper than the existing system of validating patents separately in individual countries (e.g. The Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium, etc.). It will be easier to grant technology licenses and will simplify administration. Over the next four years, national legislation will be amended in EU member countries to incorporate the decision of the directive.
Speeding up your time to market
Our professional collaborative network is already helping companies to accelerate their business by accessing IP they cannot develop themselves and in the knowledge that their own IP won't be blocked. Exchanging IP is designed to speed up research and development as well as reduce costs.
In the pre-competitive research phase, it's all about showing what your contribution is to a particular project. The PhotonDelta cooperative agreement ensures there are no free-loaders on the IP system.
How the Cooperative Works
Members of the Cooperative are automatically given a research license to everything they see on the PhotonDelta IP Cloud. However, if they wish to or need to use that intellectual property in a commercial setting, they will need to take out a license.
- In principle, all insights and research output in the IP cloud is shared between members. The exception is when a company fully funds a research project – then they can decide how to deal with the foreground IP. We have chosen to adopt “the payer decides” principle). If a company funds a research project for 100% on the basis of full economic cost (FEC) with a one-off upfront license fee of several €k, they will have a fully paid up license to any foreground IP that arises. If they don’t pay FEC, license agreements can be negotiated during or at the end of the research project. A full overview of the Knowledge and IP sharing processes is available on request.
- The license has a low threshold – a standard upfront fee of €10K and an annual lease fee. The lease fee varies depending on the size of the licensee and are fixed in advance. There are no milestones and no royalties. Such payments that licensees have to make are nothing more than a cost to the company.
- Rather than charging milestones and royalties, PhotonDelta encourages companies to invest in further research either on that same technology or a different area of interest. Through this mechanism, companies will have low threshold access to licenses and be able to bring the licensed technologies to the market faster. PhotonDelta cooperative members get a full return on their investment and a fair price for their contribution into the ecosystem.
2. Access to facilities and equipment
Nanotechnology and photonics require access to cleanrooms and high precision equipment. Our membership includes commercial cleanroom and lab facilities, plus access to Mesa+ and the NanoLab at the Universities of Twente and Eindhoven respectively. Smart use of overcapacity and well-structured access schemes will allow companies and researchers to collaborate in parallel, sharing relevant cleanroom facilities and equipment to reduce total development costs. Members may also qualify for research and development vouchers which help to offset chip development costs.
3. Access to a highly-specialised network of people and companies
Trusted partners in our network already collaborate to test different development strategies simultaneously, significantly reducing time to market. Existing international technical alliances, such as JePPiX, coordinate fast and affordable access to trusted European fabs for both prototyping and low-volume chip production. Each of our members brings their own specific expert knowledge into the ecosystem, as well as a global network of customers.
The IP cloud also offers companies the opportunity to post anonymous calls for technology solutions and expertise to our secure network.
4. Access to funding
New ideas and commercial opportunities in this innovative field always require high risk funding. PhotonDelta has already raised the interest of international (corporate) venture capital. This highly skilled and specialized network of specialists and serial entrepreneurs has a deep understanding of Photonics and can quickly spot growth opportunities. And PhotonDelta has close contacts with Horizon 2020 and other EC initiatives to stimulate photonics research and technology rollout.
5. Market Intelligence and Media Outreach
We've partnered with the most respected, independent research organizations to examine and interpret the growing market for integrated photonics and related applications. The highly relevant facts and figures gathered are shared and discussed internally amongst members of the PhotonDelta Cooperative.
PhotonDelta is also pro-actively reaching out, both nationally and internationally, to share the European photonics success story with mainstream media. Members profit from our global communications expertise as well as gaining access to useful assets for use on their own websites and videos. By exchanging best practices and lessons learned between large and small enterprises, we are building on the hard work that has already been done.
Summary of Organisation Specific Benefits
The Cooperative has been set up to meet the needs of five different types of organisations actively involved in photonics. The two tables below outline the specific benefits for each organisation type.
Who can join?
Membership is open to companies and registered organizations directly or indirectly involved as supplier, end user or a financier across the entire Integrated Photonics value chain.
Membership Dues & IP Cloud
The cooperative is professionally run and governed. We provide commercial value to each member in the order of €40,000 per year, when the value of strategic IP knowledge, representation and market research & insights is considered.
New members of the Cooperative are currently offered discount on this value, depending on the size and status of the organization and the services you want to access. For 2017, the annual dues have been set. Please contact Hester Tak: email@example.com for membership details.
You can also register for the IP Cloud now through this link. Hester can explain more about accessing the IP Cloud and why there is a separate site requiring log-in.
The official name of the Photon Delta Cooperative is “Coöperatieve Photon Delta U.A.” The official seat is Eindhoven, the Netherlands. PhotonDelta operates under Dutch law.